Elements of a 100% Tobacco-Free Campus Policy
A comprehensive 100% Tobacco-Free Campus policy should contain each of the following components*:
• Prohibits all forms of tobacco use, including cigarettes, cigars, bidis,
smokeless/spit tobacco, hookahs, blunts, pipes, e-cigarettes and snuff;
• Applies to all campus grounds (including parking lots, athletic facilities,
residence halls) and at university-sponsored events;
• Applies to buildings owned by the university;
• Applies to all campus property, such as campus-owned vehicles;
• Applies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week;
• Applies to students, faculty, staff and visitors;
• Prohibits the sale of tobacco products on campus;
• Prohibits the free distribution of tobacco products on campus; and
• Prohibits student organizations, including campus publications, from
accepting money, advertising and/or gifts from tobacco companies.
In addition to the elements mentioned above, it is recommended that comprehensive policy have language:
• Cites state law as legal justification for the policy;
• Outlines compliance/implementation measures; and
• Outlines measures to provide information about cessation resources.
*For UNC System campus property, the state law only allows the universities to prohibit smoking/tobacco use within a 100 linear foot perimeter of university buildings.